I’ll be on KFRU’s Morning Meeting today at 10:15 am or thereabouts, talking about cold-weather soups, Thanksgiving tips and the surprising amount of restaurant/food truck happenings that are on tap for the next few months. Preview, links and details below.
- Winter Squash Soup – I made a variation on this soup last night and with the addition of some chile flakes near the beginning and some whole milk at the end, it was a hit (including with the kids). I probably only used 3 cups of stock however, so it was thicker. Good, warming stuff.
- Black-Eyed Pea Soup – It’s a family favorite of ours (and Renee’s now) and shouldn’t be left solely to New Year’s Day.
- Tuscan Five-Bean Soup – A dead simple wintery soup I haven’t made in far too long.
- Easy Button Soup – You don’t have to make it yourself. Broadway Brewery, Chinese Wok Express (think pho) and Uprise Bakery do soups very, very well. Hoss’ Market sells tons of soup, though I can’t vouch for it (yet).
- Start with a good bird. Country Neighbors has the best and the Root Cellar still has some left. They run $60 for a 14-17 lb. bird and $75 for a 18-21 lb-er. The “small” ones are almost gone. Call The Root Cellar at (573) 443-5055.
- Defrost slowly (i.e., in the fridge).
- Brine. You must brine the bird.
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled, cut on a diagonal
8 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
8 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cups hot water, 3 cups cold. Chill and submerge bird for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
- Optional additions: Fennel, allspice, cloves, chilies
- Roast, basting each hour, until thick part of bird is 165.
- Pair with wine:
- Riesling, Gewurtztraminer, Beaujolais
- Make stock with that bird, yo.
Resto/Food Truck News
- New/Soon-to-Be Food Trucks
- Lilly’s Cantina – “Baja Midwest Fusion.” Tacos, burritos and so on with a twist (mahi-mahi tacos with cilantro, lime and red cabbage, carnitas). Open now for soft launch.
- Grill-A-Brothers – sandwiches…little info available. Spring 2015.
- Boss Tacos – open-ish. Showing up at Logboat Brewing for Taco Tuesdays. Maybe more traditional tacos? Keep an eye out.
- Check out the ShowMeEats.com widget for tracking your favorite food truck’s whereabouts.
- Pizza Tree is open!